We have a vacancy of Superintendent I – Asphalt Maintenance in our company, City of Vancouver. This vacancy is based in Vancouver British Columbia Canada. Please go through the job detail mentioned below.
Position Title: Superintendent I – Asphalt Maintenance
Company: City of Vancouver
Work Type: Full Time
City of work: Vancouver British Columbia Canada
URL Expiry: 2023-01-12
Posted on: ca.jobsoffices.com
Requisition ID: 37476
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Superintendent I is responsible for optimizing efficiency, managing budgets, presenting metrics, developing process improvements, ensuring that the needs of internal and external customers are met, and creating purpose and direction for their teams. The Superintendent I is accountable for the scope, schedule and budget of project and program work within their respective areas of responsibility. Reporting to a Superintendent II and Branch Manager, the Superintendent I is responsible for leading and developing front line staff. They must ensure every team member understands branch goals and objectives and enable the team to achieve them by providing guidance, feedback and training. The Superintendent I must manage their teams in a safe and responsible manner ensuring they adhere to all regulatory obligations, safety procedures and branch policies.
The Superintendent I, Asphalt Maintenance, is responsible for managing a team of unionized employees overseeing the maintenance of the City’s street, sidewalk and boulevard infrastructure.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews and develops annual plans, work priorities, schedules, and crew allocations to ensure resources and equipment are efficiently and effectively allocated and work outcomes are optimized
- Establishes work area process and workflows
- Ensures operational area activities are aligned to branch, Engineering and City strategic objectives
- Monitors budgets and maintains cost controls by analyzing and investigating variances, obtaining quotes and authorizing invoices
- Provides input with planning, reviewing and adhering to Operating and Capital Budget parameters depending on work area
- Provides input with the development, monitoring and communication of budget reports to ensure accuracy and transparency
- Manages budget variances within specific area of responsibility
- Creates, maintains, analyzes and makes recommendations using statistical branch data to support business and operational decisions
- Understands established branch metrics and assists in developing new metrics, as required, that can be used to manage and control business operations
- Develops, maintains and monitors services levels and resourcing plans for area(s) of responsibility
- Establishes targets for business and quality improvement
- Drives continuous improvement through an understanding of industry best practises with a focus on increasing efficiency, enhancing worker safety and engagement and improving quality of products and/or services
- Develops and maintains relationships with internal and external customers and liaises with City departments and partner branches (e.g. design and operating branches) to improve integration and ensure active collaboration
- Models the behaviour expected of staff in work area; including collaboration, teamwork and respectful workplace behaviors
- Communicates branch objectives, requirements and rationale with staff, both orally and in writing
- Addresses employee and labour relations issues in a timely, fair and consistent manner using internal City resources, collective agreement provisions and City and Branch policies and programs
- Supports and adheres to the Attendance Management, Stay-At-Work and Return-To-Work programs
- Encourages workplace productivity, good attendance and morale by building engagement
- Manages the performance development process for direct reports including following the City’s established annual process, documenting and tracking
- Employs coaching, corrective action and discipline to deal with issues and non-performance; and escalates issues appropriately to the Superintendent II and Branch Manager
- Participates in the recruitment and selection process for new hires
- Ensures appropriate onboarding and training of new employees, including safety orientations
- Identifies team development and training gaps and assists in developing and implementing training plans that include a balance of both technical and non-technical skills
- Promotes a culture of safety within workgroup
- Ensures that all work is being performed in a safe manner at all times and adheres to Branch Safe Work Procedures and Organizational Health & Safety regulations
- Identifies safety concerns and addresses them quickly with appropriate training, guidelines or policies
- Escalates all safety issues
- Participates in Branch Safety Committee Meetings
- Participates in Branch Safety Audits
- Participates in Branch Safety Inspections
- Works collaboratively with Driver Services to ensure driver training and safety programs are in place
- Performs accident investigations
- Collaborates with Occupational Health and Safety to assist in organizational safety initiatives
- Leads branch initiatives, projects and/or programs employing standard Engineering project management principles
- Ensures standard project/program processes are followed, documentation is maintained, and regular status reporting occurs
- Aligns branch practices with Engineering PMO, Supply Chain, Finance and HR policies, processes and work flows
- Understands regulatory obligations and ensures compliance
Education and Experience:
- Completion of grade 12 supplemented by technical and/or business management courses related to operations management
- 6-8 years of operations leadership experience in a Unionized environment
- Project management skills and experience considered an asset
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Good working knowledge of WorkSafe BC and relevant Organizational Health & Safety standards
- Ability to interpret, follow, explain and direct staff in collective agreement language, City policies and procedures
- Ability to build staff engagement through departmental or corporate initiatives and through coaching, mentoring and training
- Skilled in conflict and dispute resolution
- Respectful interpersonal skills including the ability to build inclusivity
- Sound planning, organizational and project management skills
- Ability to contribute to the development of budgets and manage and provide advice on cost control
- Ability to evaluate work methods, processes and procedures, make recommendations for appropriate changes, and implement
- Ability to develop goals and objectives in area of responsibility and contribute to development of branch goals and objectives
- Ability to develop, define and monitor Staff developmental plans
- Ability to work collaboratively across different parts of the organization
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and professionally orally or in writing with staff, management and the public
- Ability to articulate complex concepts and expectations clearly
- Demonstrated ability to solve business problems using data and analytical skills
- Ability to develop, analyze and report on operational area/business area metrics
- Good working knowledge and experience with MS Office software and the demonstrated ability to learn and use new software
- Understanding of basic financial accounting principles and experience and/or training with SAP
- Previous experience and training using Hansen and/or similar resource/inventory management software/business information software
The City of Vancouver has a COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy. All external applicants applying to the City of Vancouver are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire and subject to this policy as a condition of ongoing employment. Candidates may only be exempted from this requirement if they request and are approved for an accommodation based on a reason related to a Human Rights Code ground (such as disability). Such a request must be made during, not after, the recruitment process.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: January, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade RNG-SPT: $92,394 to $115,503 per annum
Application Close: December 2, 2022
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx.. 5-10mins. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a tailored summary of skills and experience related to the position.
Something not right?
Report this job to us. https://ca.jobsoffices.com/report-job/